When I was little I had a cream puff for the first time, and I was mesmerized. It was so puffy and light with a creamy center. I also love lemon and when I found this lemon curd recipe, I knew it was a keeper. Combine the delicate lightness of the cream puff with the tart and tangy lemon curd….and well, it’s magical. The best part….both of these two things are actually easy to make. Really! Check out the video and see how simple it is to make these beautiful decadent dessert.
Here’s the recipe for reference:
Lemon Curd Cream Puffs
The Cream Puff:
1 stick butter
1 c water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 c flour
4 large eggs
The Lemon Curd:
3/4 c water
2 large egg yolks
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c corn starch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 c lemon juice
2 T butter
Cream Puff Directions:
- Bring butter and water in sauce pan over medium heat to a full boil and until butter is melted.
- Add salt and slowly stir in flour until the mixture turns into a ball.
- Remove from heat and place in a bowl to rest for five minutes. (This step helps prevent the eggs from cooking when added in the next step.)
- Add ball of dough into mixing bowl and beat slowly in the four eggs. Once combined, turn the mixer a bit higher until dough is smooth.
- Scoop dough into a pastry bag or zip top bag. If you use the zip top bag, make sure to snip a small hole in the corner to pipe the dough.
- Pipe the dough on a baking sheet (lined with parchment or buttered or silicone sheet) into circular piles.
- Bake at 425 F for 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to 375 F and cook for the remaining 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Lemon Curd Directions:
- Add water and egg yolks to a bowl and beat to incorporated.
- Add to saucepan and cook on medium heat. Immediately add salt, cornstarch and sugar.
- Stir continuously until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Use a whisk to stir in lemon juice and then butter.
- Place in bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Push the plastic wrap down to the top of the lemon curd so that it is touching the top. This helps prevent the top from forming a skin. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Fill curd in pastry bag with medium round tip.
- Push tip into side of cream puff and pipe until it is full.
- Place cream puffs in refrigerator or eat immediately. You can also put them in the freezer to store. Let them defrost before eating.
Or watch the YouTube Video: