This bakery-style frosting is light, creaming and full of flavor. It doesn’t taste like it came from a tub from the store…it’s so much better!
With just a few ingredients, it’s easy to make and so versatile it will become your go-to frosting recipe. The best part, people will swear it comes from a bakery!
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 lb (about half a bag) of powdered sugar
2-4 Tb hot water (although could be more if you like a looser frosting)
1 t vanilla extract
1. Cream together the butter and shortening with an electric mixer until smooth and incorporated. You can use either the paddle or whip attachment, if you are using a stand mixer.
2. With your mixer on low, slowly add the powdered sugar. Continue to higher speeds after the sugar is well-combined. Continue to mix until fluffy.
3. Add vanilla flavoring (or really any flavoring you would like) and continue to mix.
4. Add hot water (the hottest you can get from the tap) one tablespoon at a time to the frosting, as it beats on low.
5. Use right away. If you do need to store it, it should keep in the refrigerator for a week. When you remove it from the fridge it will be a bit stiff. Place the frosting back in the mixing bowl and follow step 4 again. This will help the frosting become fluffy and absolutely perfect again!